New snow tubing park opens in Ober Gatlinburg

New snow tubing park opens in Ober Gatlinburg

Photo by Ober Gatlinburg

Ski resort Ober Gatlinburg in Gatlinburg has opened a 10-lane, $1.5 million snow tubing park.

The park’s course drops five stories and includes an observation area. Snow tubers must be 3 years old or 42 inches tall. The course is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. weekdays; 8 a.m.-8 p.m. weekends. Snow tubing cost is $20 a person on weekdays, $25 on weekends or holidays.

And for skiers who want to get to Gatlinburg for some evening snow tubing or skiing, there’s a shuttle to get you there.

Green Car and Courier is running a shuttle to the Gatlinburg resort from Aubrey’s Papermill Road restaurant Monday and Wednesdays. The bio-fueled bus, named “Aubrey’s Snow Jam,” leaves the restaurant at 5:15 p.m. and returns around 11:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. Round-trip shuttle cost is $20. Reserve a space 865-329-7616 or going online at www.KnoxvilleGreenCar.com. Trips are planned through March. Shuttle cost doesn’t include the cost to ski. For more information about Ober Gatlinburg, see www.obergatlinburg.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

© 2009 Knoxville.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Whatever1 writes:

Ladies ski free on Mondays and UT students ski free on Wed for Aubrey's Snow Jam riders.

Southerner writes:

Does anyone know how crowded it has been at the snow tubing area?

TammyM writes:

I went tubing in 1979 and was almost killed. This is an incredibly dangerous "sport". My spleen was ripped almost in half.

grpphoto#222763 writes:

"Snow tubers must be 3 years old or 42 inches tall."

So I'm too old and too tall to go. Phooey.

Seems a shame to restrict it to 3-year-olds.

Mountainsol writes:

Too bad <a href="http://www.nsaa.org/nsaa/environment/... warming threatens to ruin</a> the fun of winter sports.

Mountainsol writes:

Make that ... Too bad global warming threatens to the fun of winter sports. and the link

knoxlawvol writes:

Is it common to be three years old and taller than 42"? Sounds kind of huge for a three year old?

Whatever1 writes:

The conditions at Ober are incredible! Ask anyone who really cares about the sport. Don't listen to people who say it sucks because they haven't been in years. It is really a lot of fun! There is currently a 60 inch base.
P.S. I haven't seen a lot of traffic at the tube park. It looks fun.

MotherNature writes:

I've had no reason to go to Ober Gatlinburg for many, many years (recently due to a knee replacement). I am so excited about this new addition. I will definitely try it out!

TammyM, your post hasn't been lost on me. I think, however, that the safety equipment has changed since your incident. I will keep your experience in mind and check the safety conditions before I even attempt to make the first run.

Whatever1 writes:

in response to wlvol:

This person is SO wrong and is absolutely no fun at all I'm sure.