Bonnaroo Hayes: This is one tough gig to cover

Guests walk by the ferris wheel at the 10th Annual Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tenn., Thursday, June 9, 2011.

Photo by Adam Brimer // Buy this photo

Crime reporter Hayes Hickman is covering Bonnaroo 2011 for the Knoxville News Sentinel.

MANCHESTER, Tenn. - This is an outrage. I had to share a hotel room with KNS photographer Adam Brimer.

And as anyone will tell you, Adam is a decent and personable guy.

But we didn't reserve a room together – we reserved two.

After 15 hours of driving to Bonnaroo, hanging out at Bonnaroo, sampling some bands and then leaving Bonnaroo for more driving (well, and some working) we reached the hotel Thursday night only to be told that there was no room left at the inn. Not even a stable.

The official story was that a hotel guest had asked to extend their stay at the last minute so, as the night shift clerk told us, the day shift gave away our two-month-old reservations.

Seeing as how Bonnaroo was under way, along with the CMA music festival going on in Nashville, the next-closest available room likely was back in Knoxville.

What were we supposed to do? Camp out with the dirty hippies? Alt-magazine guys rough it. We're journalists. We're practically kind of a big deal.

Jigsha Desai, our web producer, still had a room, but she was just as livid as Adam and me (since she'd have to share her room with us.) I actually heard her almost raise her voice. Adam sat his luggage down on the lobby floor in a forceful manner that nearly echoed through the entire lobby.

I offered the clerk a few choice comments and we all huffed and puffed until our no-good, not-worth-mentioning-the-name-of hotel (coughcough, Doubletree by Hilton-Murfreesboro coughcough) miraculously found a couple of beds in an unoccupied room.

Worst off, the whole episode cost us precious time and we nearly missed last call at the bar.

Now on the other side of a sound night's sleep, hot shower and fresh, in-room coffee, I understand how our predecessors gave up on this gig.

And that was just day one. No telling what sort of headaches are still ahead.

If the air conditioning in the Bonnaroo media trailer is too cold today or the free bottled water isn't suitably chilled, I just don't know how I'll be expected to produce anymore of this stellar copy.

Seriously, covering Bonnaroo is hard.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2011, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

© 2011 Knoxville.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

skboy writes:

You sound as wimpy as your report. You should have stayed in Knoxville and let someone eles with a pair do this story.

bustervols writes:

If it was easy, they would be giving merit badges to brownie scouts.....

DeeBee writes:

Uh, do you have a job man?? Suck it up

knoxcopper writes:

Did no one else get the sarcasm in this story? I thought it was pretty funny. I just can't believe anyone would drive 15 hours to spend with that many dirty hippies!

SouthKnoxGirl writes:

Very funny "sarcastic" piece. I'm right with you brother - I don't want to hang around with a bunch of sweaty, stinky, "dirty hippies"! And I'm not being prejudice - ANYONE will stick after standing out in this heat for a while!

ArtChic writes:

I like your style of writing. Very entertaining.

Wish I were there!!!!

geniuspearl writes:

I'm sure the guy working the Army enlistment tent will have much more sucess.

Caseyleigh writes:

Wow, I've noticed that people don't really get humor over the interwebs - they take things so seriously! I thought this was pretty entertaining. Hope you have fun with all the hippies. . .I imagine it probably smells like bo, patchouli and weed already.

peerless writes:

in response to knoxcopper:

Right there with you. I thought is was a breath of fresh air for this rather bland rag of a paper.

Misskittin writes:

"Camp out with the dirty hippies? "
Really journalist? They really shouldn't have sent you to do this coverage. You clearly sound like somebody that hates what he's doing and this is going to transpire in his articles. I am so sorry for the company that sent you to do this.... waste of money.

Misskittin writes:

in response to ArtChic:

I like your style of writing. Very entertaining.

Wish I were there!!!!

flanjp29 writes:

rough it and get some perspective, best writting comes from that, just saying... from alt-ragger.