LOS ANGELES - Joss Whedon doesn't have to worry about finding work for the next three years. Marvel Studios has locked up the "Avengers" writer-director through the summer of 2015.
On the heels of the news that Whedon will make the sequel to Disney and Marvel's "The Avengers" and develop a Marvel-based television series for Disney's ABC network, Marvel said it has made a long-term pact with the 48-year-old "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" creator.
"Joss Whedon has signed an exclusive deal with Marvel Studios for film and television through the end of June 2015," Marvel said in a statement Tuesday.
"As part of that deal, Whedon will write and direct Marvel's 'Avengers 2' as well as help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC. He will also contribute creatively to the next phase of Marvel's cinematic universe."
The first "Avengers" movie, released by Marvel owner Disney earlier this year, is the biggest hit in modern Hollywood history, with global ticket sales in excess of $1.46 billion.
Whedon's adaptation of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing," starring Nathan Fillion and Amy Acker, will premiere at next month's Toronto International Film Festival.