TMZ: Dolly Parton says she didn't mean to diss Whitney Houston over song

Dolly Parton recalls the impact Whitney Houston had.

Photo by Saul Young // Buy this photo

Dolly Parton recalls the impact Whitney Houston had.

Dolly Parton is eating her words after calling "I Will Always Love You" HER song -- despite it being made famous by Whitney Houston -- and now tells TMZ, she's happy to share it with the late R&B legend.

Dolly took a lot of flack after her previous statement following Whitney's death -- "I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song."

But Dolly's loosening her grip on her country classic -- telling us, "I did not know Whitney, nor any of her family personally; but she will always be a part of my heart and I will always be grateful for her awesome performance and success with our song “ (emphasis hers).

See the full story on Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston at TMZ.com.

© 2012 Knoxville.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

RandallBrown writes:

Dolly has nothing to apologize for. Her original statement was a gracious compliment to Whitney Houston from a songwriter to a performer. Her follow-up statement is all the more gracious.

etsuvol99#227561 writes:

Who is giving Dolly flack? The article doesn't say and there's nothing on the Google. Is this a nontroversy?

keepitreal4vols writes:

I bought a splash country season pass so its my swimming pool now. I don't care who designed it, built it and owns the rights to it. Its all mine mine mine.

volhome#407234 writes:

Since she is dead I won't speak ill of her, but I will speak ill of Whitney's performance of the song that Dolly wrote. Whitney took a bittersweet love song about a parting of the ways and turned it into a banner about the singer's feelings. 'Huh', you say? Think about every video playing of Whitney's version you have seen this week. Where did they pick up in the song? At "I" (with an overlong and capital I) "will always love you". For me, I have always cringed when I heard Whitney's version, because Dolly's version so greatly outshone it. Dolly sang it as a personal loss song, Whitney sang it as an anthem. The praise belongs to Dolly, as does the song.

Oh, and I have been waiting twenty years to say that to someone other than my wife, so thanks for listening.

brauhuff#295403 (Inactive) writes:

I have been waiting 45 years to say this. Dolly Parton CANNOT sing. I am sorry folks but she sounds like a munchkin or a pig squealing but she is a decent not great but decent songwriter and a great business woman

volhome writes:

in response to brauhuff#295403:

You should have waited another 45 years. Dolly has a voice that is perfect for her music.