City cost for 'Extreme Makeover' uncertain

A Knoxville Police Department cruiser sits at a makeshift entryway on Robinson Road in West Knoxville as volunteers for 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' build a new home for Daniel and Mandy Watson Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012.  (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2012 // Buy this photo

A Knoxville Police Department cruiser sits at a makeshift entryway on Robinson Road in West Knoxville as volunteers for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" build a new home for Daniel and Mandy Watson Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Thousands of dollars of taxpayer funds are paying for the city-donated police, fire, permitting, inspections and other staff at the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" job site.

Exactly how much is uncertain, but a deputy to Mayor Madeline Rogero said that the cost and labor are worthwhile.

"If it comes down to the question of do you participate in this or not," said Bill Lyons, chief policy officer and deputy to Rogero, "then this is an easy call and worth the resources."

The television show has had production crews here since Tuesday, staying in hotels and eating meals out while they tape a program to air nationally on ABC later this year.

And since taping began some city staff have been working overtime.

Knoxville Fire Department has had one paramedic and one EMT worker at a medical trailer there since Tuesday being paid overtime at $15 to $25 an hour. Knoxville Police are paying overtime to five police officers and one supervisor blocking traffic all week on Robinson Road. The city won't receive thousands of dollars in would-be revenue from waived permit and inspection fees while inspectors and engineers also work overtime.

And according to one nearby resident, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" isn't a great neighbor.

"Everybody's bought into this," said Glenis Nelson, who lives about a mile from the site. He uses Robinson Road to get to Middlebrook Pike.

"I'm on the other side of the fence," Nelson said, adding that he's been caught in related traffic several times. "It's a lot of sacrifice for just one family."

While "Extreme Makeover" is a temporary neighbor for Nelson, Daniel Watson heads the Knoxville nonprofit where show crews are erecting a more permanent structure. His nonprofit, The Restoration House of East Tennessee, is a place where single mothers go to get help establishing their lives.

Meanwhile, the television producers are relying on locally-donated materials and labor to do the construction.

And city staff.

Darrell DeBusk, spokesman for Knoxville Police Department, compared the city resources to the staff provided for Boomsday or a football game, events that draw tens of thousands of people to the city.

But "Extreme Makeover" is accessible this week only by crews, residents on the street and few others.

"If it was for roadwork or a red light being put up or something significant, I would have no problem with it," Nelson said about the roadblocks.

Knoxville employees have been there around the clock, working through freezing temperatures along with producers and volunteers.

An engineer had to go out early Friday morning to look at silt fences on the site, said Stephen King, the city's deputy director of engineering.

"There's no fees on that," King said about the labor costs and permits. "That was one of the commitments the city made when the show first approached the city."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2012, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

© 2012 Knoxville.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

toolmeister writes:

Dude it's a week, suck it up!

BRASS writes:

The one guy in the whole US that isn't a fan of Extreme Home Makeover and they build a home right next door to him.

CockeCountyNative writes:

Congrats to the City of Knoxville for helping with this project.

GoodScout writes:

It's great publicity for the city, publicity you can't buy. It has a good economic impact for the city. And the show offers neighbors most impacted (next-door, for example) the option of staying in a hotel for free. Is there any good news in the world that someone can't complain about. What a nation of carping whiners we've become.

auntdd writes:

I think spending these resources on such a worthwhile project makes more sense than spending them on frivolities like sporting events or parades for obscure groups or weekend festivities (all of which also bring revenue to the area). At least this home will have a lasting, long-term impact on the Watson family and those to whom they give so much of their time and energy.

rayt435 writes:

in response to GoodScout:

I fail to see any significant economic impact for the city. People are not going to come to Knoxvillle just because the show was here. If I was a neighbor I would absolutely hate staying in a hotel for a week. The city is committing a lot of resources and money for the benefit of one family. Perhaps those resources would have been better spent helping many people such as the elderly with their heating bills or tax relief.

I am pleased for the family getting the home. But I think the priorities of Knoxville are warped. The producers of the show should be responsible for ALL costs to the city. My tax dollars are effectively being used for the benefit of a single family by the luck of the draw. I would rather those funds be used to help many people.

ebaystuff#207417 writes:

Really, Mr. Nelson, it's a week long project. Be a man and get over it...It is to show respect and appreciation to a family who has sacrificed there own well being and comfort to help single mothers get ahead...So man up and get over it!!!

upfront writes:

I would think City Codes and Engineering would welcome a chance to get out of the office sense nothing much is going on in construction.

hopeful writes:

Well I'd rather pay for this than the retrials of at least 25 criminals and a despicable judge's pension. And all the people who didn't do anything sooner who are in positions of power in a city I would love a lot more, were it not for them.

Also, there are many other ways to get to Middlebrook than Robinson Rd, Mr Nelson.

Tennball writes:

Sometimes I wonder if some in our community ever think there is worthwhile reason to use our tax resources. In my opinion, this is why we develop tax resources so we CAN participate in activities such as this. I have a hard time seeing the process being a significant drain over and above those daily expenses we support with our taxes and I am pleased my tax dollars are being used to promote the good will of Knoxville in this way. I also agree Mr. Nelson needs to get over it, as it is not a drain on him personally beyond a moment of his time. Anyone who thinks “putting up a red light” is a significant worthwhile event really needs to evaluate their life priorities.

wruffle writes:

in response to rayt435:

I completely agree. I have spent months trying to get permission to put a garage on my own property. So far, I've spent about $500 for a building permit and soil tests, etc.

Also, I've been burgled during the construction process. I would love to have my fees waived and police protection to keep thieves off my property. I plan to camp on my property to keep thieves out for the next couple of months while I build my garage.

I'm happy for the family getting the new home, but I (we) shouldn't have to pay for it!

LocalCitizen writes:

True, it is a lot of trouble, but the way I see it, it is not for one family. They're helping a family who not only has helped get single moms and their families off the streets, but has also given them the tools to become productive in our community. Not to mention the three children that they've taken into their own family to raise. Plus, it's brought a lot of attention to this great need in our community. It is a week of investment in something that will change hundreds of lives.

rayt435 writes:

in response to PetulantVolunteer:

Do us a favor and keep your snide remarks to yourself. I am entitled to my opinion as much as you and my opinion is as valid as yours.

A single residence being redone in this city is not going to attract anyone. People are not going to be sitting in their recliners watching the show and saying "Oooh, lets move to Knoxville because one home got rebuilt." To think otherwise is delusional thinking.

I don't travel Middlebrook pike so your assumptions are fully incorrect. My life is not a miserable shambles. You are incorrect again.

The show producers should be responsible for all costs to the city, period.

So to echo your sentiments. Keep your comments to yourself, especially since you are incorrect in your comments.

voyagerdjc248#254895 writes:

No good deed goes unpunished. Shame on the
dissenters.

Can we who live in a society which says it is civilized, not do some good things for our fellow human beings just for the sake of doing them?

cowgirlmedic writes:

I'd just really like to know how many of these businesses would help out if this wasn't a nationally broadcasted TV show. Really. I'm so happy for this family and don't want to take away from the gift they're getting, but let's face the fact that it's likely the majority of these companies could give a rats behind about charity. That's what's really sad.

UNCLEJED writes:

If it's not an issue why was it even brought up? One week they'll be an article on how the first responders are way under paid and under appreciated. Then now they are saying these folks are working over time and making more money. Come on you all which side of the fence are you on?

Tennball writes:

in response to rayt435:

The show producers should be responsible for all costs to the city, period.

Hey Ray....Unless your last name is Nelson, his comments were not directed to you. If you read half way through, he changes his comments to Mr. Nelson for complaining in the paper about his significant inconvenience. As far as making a difference to people being willing to relocate to Knoxville, I tend to agree anything will help. Our biggest challenge to recruiting the best talent from around the country is the consistent comment we receive when we make an offer: "Knoxville, TN, why Knoxville?" Now I have lived here for 30 years and would not trade this community but others do not know about us.

lwknox1 writes:

It's interesting that the comments refer to this project helping 1 family. In reality, the work Daniel and Mandy are doing, along with all those involved with The Restoration House, benefits a number of mothers and their children, and what comes from this project will only increase the ability to do that. When mothers are mentored in getting a job, making a budget, providing for their families - what is the value of that to the taxpayers? I would say it is quite significant.

MerrieLong writes:

Oh, QQ crabby Mr. Nelson!

Way to welcome your new neighbors.

"Get offa my lawn, ya dang kids! Yer trampling my grass!"

May I suggest that you sell your home and purchase about 500 heavily wooded acres and put your house smack dab in the middle of it?

cuteness writes:

I live in the area too and COULD take a short cut to my home via Robinson Road but I take another route (which may be 1.5 miles out of my way) and am happy to do so. First of all, this family, and the families they are helping, deserve this house. After hearing countless stories about the things their organization has done (and without any publicity but just to help others out - selflessly) I think its about time that they WERE rewarded. Second, I'm ok that the City is involved and are providing services to those working at the site. Could you imagine the chaos without their help? So yeah, if there is a problem with them helping with this week long project then lets let them not assist with traffic control at the first UT home game this fall.... or help with fair traffic.... or help out with traffic control at the mall when Christmas shoppers are unruly and mean? Third, the GOOD PR that our city is getting and WILL get from this is priceless and anyone that has ANY type of business knows the price of advertising on a larger scale does NOT come cheap or FREE. I would bet if someone compared dollar to dollar, we are getting a GREAT deal here. Our city can use all of the good press it can get especially since over the last few years the press we have gotten from sports has not been so positive. And one last comment, I have just been in awe of the HUGE turnout of volunteers to help with this project. Thank you City of Knoxville public service departments for ALL that you do for our city - its much appreciated by the majority of the residents of Knoxville.

in response to toolmeister:

Dude it's a week, suck it up!

why do you not want to allow others to have an opinion - it is not just a week - our government money got flushed down the drain - and who are you to bad mouth me -

in response to BRASS:

that must not be true since it is being canceled - I would say that I am in the majority that DO NOT watch the silly game show

in response to ebaystuff#207417:

and where do you live - how far from the site - probably on the other side of town - let someone have an opinion that is not yours - remember we are in AMERICA

in response to Tennball:

Tennball - if you think I should get over it - then you also should leave it alone - I have my reasons and opinions - and so do you - let a person have their say without injecting you arrogance - just like the people on the show

mary59 writes:

now is hard part now on. Where is the family going to get the money every year to pay the taxes on the house. It nice they are building them the home. But they go over board on the homes. It been in the news how many of the homes that been put on auction blocks since the house is appraise at high amount. the house they live in was appraise at maybe 30,000
now the new home is appraise at 150,000
so you figure what the new taxes will be.

glenisnelson#400969 writes:

tennball - what gives you the right to tell me to do anything - how arrogant and selfcentered - get a life and leave things alone - by the way - I accomplished my mission - there are a lot of people that disagree with you and you hate it because you are a control freak - let it alone if you don't live in the area - you have no clue and stop trying to boss people around because we won't listen or care about your arrogant comments - get a life - I have mine and right now this is an important issue - next week - I will leave it all alone - you are correct it is one week to get my word out - and you read it so mission accomplished

in response to hopeful:

I agree to that hopeful - that is definitely a waste of our money - let those guys fry......

cityresident writes:

This is a good thing for the family,however that tv show I would think is done for profit and should pay for the expense of their show why exactly is big budget network not paying?

CmonNow writes:

Some of the comments on here are disheartening. What a selfish bunch of people I have for neighbors. :-( Actually the project will impact a lot more than just this single family. This project will impact every single mother and her family that passes through the doors of Restoration House. I wonder if your sentiments would be the same had it been your single family chosen for a home renovation? Helping these women get on their feet and find work not only impacts their life and our fair city, but will have a long lasting effect on their children as well. So this project is effecting essentially more than one generation and in more than just one way. How can you not see this as worthwhile? Heaven forbid you be a little inconvenienced.

To all the volunteers, the city of Knoxville, and the folks at Extreme Makeover....bless you for all your hard work, the investment of your time and energy, the help for this family and all the families who will benefit from the work being done for Restoration House. Refreshing to know there are still people who see the needs of others before their own.

in response to PetulantVolunteer:

PetulantVol - if you don't like what I say - it is simple - don't read my comments - very simple - if you can't stand it get over it - as you guys are telling me

LocalGirl writes:

I bet you wouldn't think that way if it were YOUR family they were helping.

So many selfish people in this world. I am so grateful not to have Mr Nelson in my neighborhood, I won't call him a neighbor, because I don't think he knows the definition of the word.

This ONE family, helps many others. That is very worthwhile in my opinion. For anyone whining about traffic, or the tax payer costs, you know in your heart you are simply jealous that you aren't getting this type of gift yourself. Haters HATE!

cutebratt writes:

in response to mary59:

now the new home is appraise at 150,000
so you figure what the new taxes will be.

That's my thoughts on it too. If they couldn't afford to take care of the house that was demolished, how are they gonna be able to take care of this one? Granted its going to be new, but they still require upkeep, property taxes will still be due, I'm sure there will be a mortgage on it. Where will that money come from if they didn't have it before? What they're doing is great, but, at the same time you cant completely help others if you can't help yourself completely. Their now demolished home could have probably been saved had they put some money, care, and upkeep in it. What had they done, how would they continue to help single moms and kids had they not been chosen for this? Their house would have eventually been condemned due to lack of safety.
Also, what all does EMHE do besides ride a bus all over the country and make money from the show? If the people/businesses of Knoxville are donating their materials and such to this? Ty and his team get so much praise but if they aren't using their money then it's the communities that should be getting all the praise. I also think that if the tax payers/builders are footing the bill, they should have had a say as to who got the home built. Nonetheless, I wish this family lots of luck, they ARE doing a good thing. I just hope they can continue to do so and keep this house in good shape in the process.

sabcat#435927 writes:

I feel this is an awesome thing and I really hate it when people try to trash an awesome thing. This is great for the family and the community. Why can't we all just join together and be happy.

in response to MerrieLong:

Oh, QQ crabby Mr. Nelson!

Way to welcome your new neighbors.

"Get offa my lawn, ya dang kids! Yer trampling my grass!"

you are funny- first of all - it is my choice to live where I live - non of you business - number 2 I have no kids - no 3 I won't be on your grass - I respect my neighbors - no 4 - where do you live in proximity to the build - many miles away - why are the people complaining about me living far away for the traffic and site - you guys even admit it - so if you can't be constructive - keep quiet

in response to rayt435:

The show producers should be responsible for all costs to the city, period.

I agree with Ray - we all have opinions - so keep you snide remarks to yourself - if you don't like what we say - they go about your business and don't read our comments - you are just trolling for a fight - not here - I have accomplished my mission - my side is presented and now it is out of my hands - I am done.

pmillar writes:

City Engineering will do nothing about the mud up and down Robinson Road or the silt going on the neighboring blue line stream because Christi Branscum is one of Madeline's new hires.
Yes, Christi will be over City Engineering.

in response to voyagerdjc248#254895:

No good deed goes unpunished. Shame on the
dissenters.

it is amazing that no one in this blog has a sense of humor - that is an old saying "may no good deed go unpunish" - sarcasm at it's best - laugh a little - I do - I have gotten everyone's attention - now THINK about all the pieces and make you own decision -just remember how I was - you guys are now doing exactly that same thing - forcing your opinion - just as I expected - can't handle a discussion of different opinions - now we are even - this will soon be over but hope everyone learned a thing or two - 1 - volunteer even when it is not putting you on TV., 2 - Be objective as there are always at least two sides to everything. 3- smile as I do all day - but push what you are passionate about - 4- name calling is also selfish - don't call names - prove that you are correct and have a vaild come back that is not rude - I can go on and on - but watch your governments on all sides - they can go astray and we are the only one's that can put them upright again - I hope the family enjoys their new place and is able to pay the new taxes and upkeep - and I wish them well in their endeavors - and remember the rest of the community when you go off on your own - we are here and do care - maybe not about all the things that you do - but we care...........

in response to cowgirlmedic:

be careful Cowgirlmedic - these game show groupies - hate anyone that asks hard question - but you get an thumbs up from me

in response to PetulantVolunteer:

Pet - if you don't like my comments - don't read them - I too have an opinion - just because you don't like them - don't bad mouth me - you obviously can't handle it when someone disagrees with you - get a life and quit calling names - you have not read all of it - it is not all about the inconvenience - it is about abuse of powers, government mismanaging money, bribes by outside companies (promises to the city from the show - not actual money) - and a lot more - I am happy for the family but wish you guys would look at the entire picture instead of just listing to a game show host. But I only ask - you are demanding things of me - and I refuse to listen or care about your demands - actually I think they are funny - you are mad at me - and don't even know me - (lol)

mrlawson11#220331 writes:

I have a theory on why Mr.Glenis Nelson is so upset. Although it could be somebody else with the same name, It appears that Mr. Nelson is an Independent Evangelist.

Given the reason this family was chosen, (Helping out single mothers..a.k.a. not married and sex outside of marriage against the word of the bible) I can see him being against anything that might seemed like a "reward" for those who help these "sinners".

secondcreek writes:

in response to glenisnelson#400969:

Who cares! Let it go everybody.

in response to hopeful:

There are a lot of ways to anywhere - my objection is the REASON it was closed - building a house does not warrant closing a road - the will not close any other road to build a house - this is a reality GAME show and that is the only reason any of this is done - overtime by police, inspectors, etc - just for a Game show that most of us could care less about - I am glad the people are getting this - I just think it is a stupid way to spend our tax money - they should have hired their own security and have had to leave the road open as usually is the case - it is only closed because they want to do this is 7 days instead of the normal month - that is pure stupidity - and a silly game show that has been canceled - HOPEFUL - you need to not comment if that is the best you can do - don't just read one comment as there are many stories - cemetery damaged, city paying the way, companies giving but are going to take it off on taxes - thus not really giving - it is a lot of issues - not just one - I do use the other roads but don't particularly like to do it because this is not a real good reason - I am happy for the family but do not like arrogant self centered people from out of town dictating to everyone and buying of the government (not in money but favors and advertisements) - HOPEFUL - it is just plain stupid

in response to PetulantVolunteer:

PETULANTVOL - it would be nice if you called a waahhmbulance - as you are too much into criticizing but do not want anyone else to - I will do more just to irritate you - because you do not want anyone having another opinion - communist countries are made for that - I allow your opinion so why don't you let the other make opposing opinions without name calling - objective communications not name calling - you and a few are objecting to me - I have a lot of people that also agree with me - I guess they are bad people also - disagreeing with you is not a criteria for being a bad person - you just can't stand someone that you disagree with - I hope you life is not that bad - I am happy and enjoy a good conversation - even if the two don't agree - be polite and give your reasons to disagree - but no name calling please - I have an opinion about the extra driving - you may be rich but I am not - extra gas hurts another part of my budget - and the reason for it makes no sense - this road could be partially open - one lane - not the entire road close - that is just plain stupid for a stupid game show and it's groupies. Again I am happy for the family - just wish people would allow opposing opinion without cursing them out - it is a FREE country and I am not blasting you for your opinion - just for blasting me - and you don't even know me - how sad that you are so selfish.

in response to toolmeister:

Dude it's a week, suck it up!

TOOLMEISTER - stop bossing me around - you could not do that if you wanted to - I will not suck it up as I don't think it is something to suck up - I have an opinion so please let me have it and quit blasting me for having another opinion and being jealous that the news picked up on me. TOOLMEISTER- who are you to tell anyone to do anything - you are not in charge of me - and never will be - so get a live and move on- I would not suck anything up for you and particularly you ........... boo

in response to LocalGirl:

I bet you wouldn't think that way if it were YOUR family they were helping.

you don't know me so why would you criticize me -how shallow - I have not said the family was not deserving - I am not hating - it is some of you that hate me - after next week it will be the last thing on my mind - I am just trying to get a point across and I must have because the people that disagree are really mad - I must have made a large impact - I am not jealous - just proving a point - you guys are the selfish one's by not allowing another opinion without cursing them out - be nice - we all live in this world and we all have opinions - just because you don't agreee - doesn't give you the right to JUDGE people - I was born here 60 years ago IN THIS AREA - I think that gives me a right to my opinion

in response to RiverDan:

The show has been canceled - very few are watching anymore - this will be aired Thanksgiving when everyone is visiting family - all that adds up to a small amount of people watching - I am glad for the family but game shows are the pits

in response to pmillar:

Yes, Christi will be over City Engineering.

I thought no one would figure that out - good job pmillar - follow the money - that is what I have been doing - it leads to greed. But I liked you entry. Kudos

in response to sabcat#435927:

because we don't all think it is so awesome - I am glad for the family but Ty and his boys only care about ratings and using the family for the ratings - I would not accept anything from these crooks

in response to voyagerdjc248#254895:

No good deed goes unpunished. Shame on the
dissenters.

I agree but the show, the companies, the government are not doing this for the good of our fellow humans - they are only interested in ratings, tax write-off, advertisement for the city - nothing more - I am happy for the family but this is a greedy operation that cares not for the community -

in response to mrlawson11#220331:

mrlawson - I have an opinion - I am not upset - it is the other side including you that are upset that I interjected another side to an issue - how can you JUDGE me when you don't even know me - you are so funny I will laugh for hours - yes I laugh - this is beginning to be a game show for me - everyone is mad except me - I am starting to enjoy the anger I have cause in all of you that are single minded and do not want anyone to have an opinion that is different than yours - that is shallow