Kenny Chesney sings with Jason Witten, stars with Smokey in ESPN spot

Kenny Chesney

Photo by Adam Brimer // Buy this photo

Kenny Chesney

Country music star Kenny Chesney stars in a new "This Is SportsCenter" commercial for ESPN, and over the weekend Chesney brought former Vol (and current Cowboy) Jason Witten onstage for a duet.

In the ESPN spot, which debuts today on the sports network, the Luttrell native tries to avoid ESPN anchor Steve Levy in the cafeteria. As the two men are carrying their trays, Levy sucks up to the singer, who makes his way to a "cool clique" area featuring cheerleaders and mascots gathered around a campfire.

The University of Tennessee's Smokey makes a cameo as one of the mascots.

Chesney spurs Levy and suggests he go to the uncool "anchor table."

"I got to see a lot of the anchors I've become friends with over the years, a lot of the people who come out to our shows. I love visiting the ESPN campus, and I love the relationships I have there," Chesney says in a press release announcing the commercial that was filmed in Connecticut.

Chesney, a UT fan, is currently on tour with Tim McGraw. Over the weekend the two played to more than 100,000 fans in Dallas at Cowboys Stadium, where Chesney was joined on stage by East Tennessee native Witten. The two sang together on the Chesney hit "The Boys of Fall."

Chesney's new album, "Welcome to the Fishbowl," will be released June 19.

© 2012 Knoxville.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Topics

givehim6 writes:

I liked Kenny Chesney up untill the day a few years back he turned in his Vol jersry for a #15 T-bow Gater one. Now he wants to put the orange and white on again? Another hot-n-cold fan.

Gloria_Watson writes:

When will this fraud’s 15 minutes of fame be up….I do however give him credit for being a world class opportunist…

CrankE writes:

Sorry Kenny, Can't forgive or forget 2007. At UF; you got onto the sidelines based on your connections to UT. Yet showed up in street clothes and a Boston Red Sox cap. Are you in or are you out?

Clearly.

Out.

Jadan35 writes:

The last time I looked Jason Witten is a NATIVE of Elizabethton, not Knoxville!!

Gloria_Watson writes:

I can understand the need to market yourself to the broadest base of fans but to pander AND not have any real talent is unforgivable….when will people wake up?

ArmyDad writes:

in response to Gloria_Watson:

Bitter are we? Did Chesney ignore you in high school or something?

Not sure what you consider talent, but Chesney certainly does have a lot of music award hardware, not to mention having made a gazillion dollars in the entertainment industry not to have any talent, as you claim.

Mclawdog writes:

in response to CrankE:

Clearly.

Out.

I was at that miserable game too and I remember being agitated by what he wore as well. I wasn't sure what was worse, his Red Sox hat or his Abercrombie tank top. Not a trace of orange on him. Since then, I've always thought he was a sellout. Still, he was a big part of that Condredge Holloway documentary and "Touchdown Tennessee" is one of my favorite songs.

bigdisbig writes:

Chesney is a turncoat. He partied with the gators the night before the Fla/UT game. He would sell his birthright for popularity. He is not faithful to anything but the all mighty dollar.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

And that will come back to haunt him. God tells us that all his treasures are earthly bound. If you worship money, you're in denial.