West High School is a public, coeducational college-preparatory grade 9-12 high school located at 3326 Sutherland Ave. in West Knoxville. It is in close proximity to both Kingston Pike and Interstate 40.
West High School first opened in the fall of 1951 to a student population of 546 students. It was one of four Knoxville high schools to open that year, along with South, East and Fulton (South High eventually became part of South-Doyle; East would eventually become part of Austin-East). West’s campus had once been the site of the Knoxville fairgrounds in the 1920s and the location of an early Knoxville airport. The high school students took the name of the Rebels.
From 1991-1993 the school received a major renovation, consisting of both additions to the existing building and a facelift of the original facilities. The school’s football stadium received upgrades in 2004, and a new library was constructed in 2004-2005.
West High is attended by approximately 1,500 students. Its feeder middle schools are Bearden, Northwest and West Valley.
West High School offers more than 20 Advanced Placement courses, including economics: macro, economics: micro, European history, geography: human, Latin: Catullus Horace and music theory. West also offers four foreign languages: French, German, Spanish and Latin. Arts courses include band, vocal music, ceramics, photography and visual art. The school also has a Navy ROTC program and a Navy Junior ROTC program. Academic success courses and peer tutoring are also offered. Vocational courses include Web design, construction, nutrition science and cosmetology.
Students at West compete in a variety of sports, including baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball and wrestling.